Old distros

Kurt Granroth kurt@granroth.org
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 14:42:56 -0700

I was reminded by the recent post of all old distros that that dude
was giving away that I have a few older ones that are just taking up
space.

Specifically, I have the following (these are all retail boxed sets --
no "gpled" versions):

SuSE 6.2 (English docs + English and German CDs)
SuSE 6.4 (German only)
RedHat 6.0
RedHat 6.1 Deluxe
MandrakeSoft 7.1
Caldera OpenLinux 2.3
Storm Linux 2000

The German versions of SuSE are handy because they have the crypto
(ssh, ssl, etc) stuff on them while the English versions don't.

I'm not sure what to do with these.  Giving them away is all fine and
good.. but I am VERY leary of giving them to newbies.  Isn't that the
audience of freebies?  Well, I would hate to have some person's first
exposure to Linux be SuSE 6.2 when SuSE 7.1 is out and is soooooooo
much better!

So what would happen to these if I did just give them to PLUG?

I also have an extra copy of SuSE 7.1 Professional (full $90 edition
with docs + 7 CDs and 1 DVD).  This is BY FAR, the best Linux
distribution made to date for either users, sys admins, or developers.
As such, I'm not a big fan of giving this to some random Joe Linux
User.  This should be given to somebody that is on the fence between
Windows9x/NT and Linux and needs the extra push.  Anybody know of
somebody like that?
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop