COM to USB devices

Alan Dayley alandd@consultpros.com
Sat, 24 Mar 2001 07:54:05 -0700

At 02:48 PM 3/23/01 -0700, you wrote:
>On Mar 23,  2:30pm, Alan Dayley wrote:
>
> > I have a "whatever" brand PC USB to COM port adapter for my Palm.  Bought
> > it at a cable place before you could get them at "Worst Buy" type places.
> > Works like it did the first day, perfectly.  It created a COM3 for the OS
> > and I told the HotSync conduit to use COM3.  Slick as can be and no
> problems.
>
>Have you tried it with Linux?  (When you say "COM3", that makes me think
>you're using it with some other OS instead.  If you'd said /dev/ttyS2 or
>somesuch, I wouldn't have asked.)

You are correct!  Give the man a T-shirt!  The description of my use is
based on my Win98 experience.  The question was about a Win98 installation,
after all.

I have not tried it on Linux and I have not investigated it on Linux.  I
figure the way out of my Linux newbie status is to study more fundamental
things like routing.  Granted, I could learn some things making a COM to
USB device work under Linux but I still am making sure I understand my
firewall first.

Alan