bind

Kurt Granroth kurt@granroth.org
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 17:45:57 -0700

Lucas Vogel wrote:
> Can I ask a really stupid question? What is BIND, and how do I know if I'm
> running it or not?

It is the (set of) programs that handle name lookups.  The specific
program that does most of the work is called 'named'.  You can tell if
it's running by doing 'ps aux | grep named' or '/etc/rc.d/named status'
(maybe).

You almost surely *aren't* running it unless:

1) You are running a DNS server to handle name server requests for
   your LAN
2) Your distribution installs and runs it by default

I don't think any distros are dumb enough to do the latter and since
you are asking what it is, you clearly aren't doing the former :-)
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop