Sparc Help

Don Harrop don@nis4u.com
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 15:40:33 -0700

at the ok prompt enter "printenv boot-device" and verify the disk it's pointing to is the boot disk..

Don

From: George Toft <george@georgetoft.com>
Date: Thu, 22 Mar 2001 23:18:31 -0700

>I have a Sparc2 with Red Hat 5.2 installed.  The hard drive is correctly
identified if I type "probe-scsi" at the prom ok prompt, but it hangs
when I try to boot from the drive.

I suspect a bad drive.  It spins up, prom identifies it, but the Red
Hat installer won't read from it.  I've set the jumper for termination,
and that did nothing.

I'm pretty scsi stupid (and sparc stupid), so I'm looking for some
hints here.  The box was a freebie, so I'm not complaining too much.
The drive is a Micropolis 4421AV, which is fast scsi-2 narrow.  Can
I replace it with any fast scsi-2 50 pin drive and expect it to work?

Thanks in advance for your help.

George