Help Toshiba built in NIC

Craig White craigwhite@azapple.com
Fri, 23 Mar 2001 09:33:36 -0700

> hmm, would make for an interesting script.  Test to see if the
> default GW is up,
> if not then switch GW to other NIC and keep testing to switch back to the
> original GW when it comes back up.
>
> > > That worked. Thank You. Now I all need to do is get these three
> > > NICs in this
> > > box to route right. :)
>
> > OK - I'll byte - what's the trick of getting 3 cards to work
> when there is
> > only 1 default gateway?

----
actually, I have a desire to keep two connections to the internet
functioning for a short duration while I switch the internet from one
connection to the other - both are still functioning. Thus, I suspect that I
need to use the iproute2 function which I found little information available
on the internet for this situation other than BGP for cisco routers which
isn't what I am looking for.

example...
I have eth0 - internal lan 192.168.0.254
       eth1 - public  xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx gw address xxx.xxx.xxx.xxy
       eth2 - public  zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz

if I go to a computer on the internet and ping or telnet to zzz.zzz.zzz.zzz
it doesn't respond - undoubtedly because the gateway is on eth1.

I didn't have time to play around much with it yet so if anyone wants to
make it easy for me and keep me from reading the doc files on iproute2, I
would love it, otherwise, another opportunity to learn something for myself.

thanks,

Craig