Advice Part 2! :)

Eric Richardson eric@milagrosoft.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:34:28 -0700

> Tyler Hall wrote:
>
> Since nobody listened and posted all the messages to the list, I
> wanted to reply to a few of them:
>
> 1)  I currently work as a Technician at a computer company, so my
> hands are always on the insides of computers, etc.   I also run the
> linux server for my company.   Theres just 6 people in the company,
> but they were going to pay $250 or whatever for WINGATE To run on NT,
> and I talked them into just doing it with Linux for free..
>
> 2)  I plan on getting a degree, but should I get a Microsoft Certified
> degree?  Will that be useless in the future?  I heard Cisco is pretty
> hot right now..

There are cert programs for RedHat GNU/Linux that I know of and perhaps
others.

As far as a CS degree or other college degree, I agree that one is a
good thing and salaries really reflect education level. I do believe
that you should get a degree in what you are interested in. I have a BS
and a Masters in Engineering and never have worked in either as I like
computers and programming. Follow your heart. Many people have degrees
in Math, Physics and even Liberal arts as language and computing is a
really big thing.

My 2 cents,
Eric :-)