Advice Part 2! :)

Alan Dayley alandd@consultpros.com
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 06:05:18 -0700

--=====================_421411222==_.ALT

At 09:48 PM 3/21/01 -0700, you wrote:
>Since nobody listened and posted all the messages to the list, I wanted to
>reply to a few of them:

Nobody listened?  This has been a flood of great advise, for you and for
me!  I am glad "nobody listened" and we all posted to the list!  That is
what the list is for.

["Nobody listened."  BAH! (said while waving my hand)]

>1)  I currently work as a Technician at a computer company, so my hands
>are always on the insides of computers, etc.   I also run the linux server
>for my company.   Theres just 6 people in the company, but they were going
>to pay $250 or whatever for WINGATE To run on NT, and I talked them into
>just doing it with Linux for free..

Good job to get going in the field.  Good job going for Linux.

>2)  I plan on getting a degree, but should I get a Microsoft Certified
>degree?  Will that be useless in the future?  I heard Cisco is pretty hot
>right now..

Degree == Bachelor of Science from a university or a technical school like
DeVry.
Certification == a certification.  A generally good thing.
Certification != a Degree.  They are two different things and show
completely different levels of knowledge depth.

Now, after successfully arguing against an MS based solution and
implementing a Linux solution as you described above in #1, why do you want
an MS certification?  MS certification will get you jobs doing MS
stuff.  If you want to do MS stuff, go for it.

I don't know what is entailed in a Cisco certificate.  Never looked into
it.  I am a coder, not an admin, mostly.  ;^)

Alan

--=====================_421411222==_.ALT

At 09:48 PM 3/21/01 -0700, you wrote:<br>
nobody listened and posted all the messages to the list, I wanted to
Nobody listened?&nbsp; This has been a flood of great advise, for you and
for me!&nbsp; I am glad &quot;nobody listened&quot; and we all posted to
the list!&nbsp; That is what the list is for.<br>
[&quot;Nobody listened.&quot;&nbsp; BAH! (said while waving my
hand)]<br>
I currently work as a Technician at a computer company, so my hands are
always on the insides of computers, etc.&nbsp;&nbsp; I also run the linux
server for my company.&nbsp;&nbsp; Theres just 6 people in the company,
but they were going to pay $250 or whatever for WINGATE To run on NT, and
I talked them into just doing it with Linux for free..
Good job to get going in the field.&nbsp; Good job going for Linux.<br>
I plan on getting a degree, but should I get a Microsoft Certified
degree?&nbsp; Will that be useless in the future?&nbsp; I heard Cisco is
Degree == Bachelor of Science from a university or a technical school
like DeVry.<br>
Certification == a certification.&nbsp; A generally good thing.<br>
Certification != a Degree.&nbsp; They are two different things and show
completely different levels of knowledge depth.<br>
Now, after successfully arguing against an MS based solution and
implementing a Linux solution as you described above in #1, why do you
want an MS certification?&nbsp; MS certification will get you jobs doing
MS stuff.&nbsp; If you want to do MS stuff, go for it.<br>
I don't know what is entailed in a Cisco certificate.&nbsp; Never looked
into it.&nbsp; I am a coder, not an admin, mostly.&nbsp; ;^)<br>
Alan<br>