linux in the workplace

Bob George plug@bobspc.dhs.org
Thu, 22 Mar 2001 01:00:46 -0700

"Rooster" <dbarker6@uswest.com> wrote:

> [...]
>> but if someone opens up a dialog with "and the earring STAYS!" I'd
>> be more concerned about the individual's priorities.
> well bob, you must have missed the part of me putting this up for as an
> intern type position. working and not getting paid. no pay, then no rules
> about a little earring.

Actually, no. I didn't miss anything. If I'm in business -- also concerned
about keeping a roof over my head -- and someone makes a point of stressing
that their dress is more important to them than our business concerns, I'd
take note. I wouldn't necessarily rule someone out over it, but I would be
fully aware that I'm offering something in return, be it monetary
compensation or the opportunity to get some real-world experience.

Putting the shoe on the other foot, when I'm in the position of having to
ask others for an opportunity, I don't typically lead off with a list of
demands. I wind up traveling to Cleveland, waking up early and taking nasty
flights -- all of which are things I really hate. (Hell, sometimes I have to
support a Microsoft-based solution! Ech!) To cite a real-world case, my
company may have a major opportunity to do some interesting work for a large
religious organization. They have stated very clearly that standards of
appearance are most important to them. The exposure to some interesting
technologies might sway me to consider taking it, starched shirt and all,
with the idea that the experience gained will probably reduce the amount of
similar clothing I have to wear in the future.

Hey, if the earring issue is more important to you than the opportunity, I
certainly respect that. Again, it's not the earring. It's the priorities.

> [...]
> no you don't have to be working there first. you simply need to get a copy
> of the dress code. implying one sex has differant rules than the other,
then
> that fits under sexual discrimination. arizona may be a 'right to work'
> state. but federal laws supercede anything arizona may have.

Ah, gotcha. I didn't catch the unequal standard before.

> priorities?? my priority is keeping a roof over my head and having food to
> eat. everything else comes after that.

Mine too, mine too! Again, not saying I  really care about how anybody else
dresses. Just pointing out that presentation of priorities can be important.

- Bob