Advice

Furmanek, Greg Greg.Furmanek@hit.cendant.com
Wed, 21 Mar 2001 12:38:17 -0500

The only way to learn networking is by getting hands on experience.
Joel makes a great point.

Following applications are the most used.
You should know how to setup, configure and
administer them:

apache.
databases (not design. just setup)
sendmail. (qmail, ...)
samba
dns
nfs
nis
print servers.

Some stuff on the windows side (which I believe
you learn in school)

take close look at routing and firewalling.

from the hardware point it is good to know
more platforms than just Linux and Windows,
so you may want to try other free unixes and possibly
somethig like solaris.

You should be *very* familiar with hardware.
You probably will not have access to anything
higher end, but desktop hardware you should have
down.

Definatelly learn how to use c compiler.

Greg