umask for cron

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 13:55:22 -0700

This is a pure GUESS.  Unless the cron binary itself
sets the umask ("Use the source, Luke!") before running
an entry in a crontab, my suspicion would be that the
umask would be whatever the umask is when cron is started
in the startup scripts.  If it is in the cron binary,
I would hope that it's not hardcoded, but rather there's
a cron config file lying around in /etc somewhere that
could set things like PATH and umask and whatnot.

For giggles, you could try setting umask in the
/etc/init.d/cron before the cron binary is executed.