Virtual Desktops

David A. Sinck sinck@ugive.com
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 11:58:36 -0700

\_ SMTP quoth Eric Richardson on 3/20/2001 03:18 as having spake thusly:
\_
\_ Hi,
\_ Using gnome with standard potato debian. The first box I installed on
\_ has four virtual desktops with I dropped the desktop pager applet on the
\_ tool bar. The second one has one.
\_
\_ Where is this controlled?

YMMV based on debian and windowmanager, but I can control the
workspaces/desktops/what have you via

foot/programs/setting/gnome control center
[app launches]
sawfish window managger/workspaces

Keep in mind that there are varied names for the "levels of desktop"
and "my desktop is 3x3".

so you might have 5 "levels" of desktop and have 5 potential "views",
or you might have 1 "level" and a 9x9 seting for 81 potential
"views".

Sawfish, at least, calls the "levels" workspaces and the gridding
"columsns x rows".  Other wm would be different.  vtwm had one level
and you could define the number/scaling of your virtual desktop.

Sawfish rocks, btw, but that's just 'cuz I'm a Lisp lover.  :-)

David