[azipa] Phoenix/Scottsdale to host NANOG 22 (fwd)

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Tue, 20 Mar 2001 01:04:40 -0700 (MST)

moin, moin,

geekfest...

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  A Polish friend of mine got an offer for a free account from AOL. The
#  login ID was "HELLO" and the passwd "CYMBAL". She says "cymbal" is
#  Polish for "sucker". "Hello sucker" a greeting from AOHell :).

---------- Forwarded message ----------
Date: Mon, 19 Mar 2001 17:19:52 -0700
From: Rodney Joffe <azipalist@daqus.com>
To: azipa@yahoogroups.com
Subject: [azipa] Phoenix/Scottsdale to host NANOG 22

This note is aimed at the geeks on the list (I know there are a few) as
well as those members of the Internet community who understand the space
but aren't geeks ;-)

You've seen a couple of people on the list mention NANOG in the past....

Well, Phoenix gets a second chance to roll out the red carpet for 650 of
the folks who designed, built, and run the Internet. I've offered to
host the next NANOG geekfest here in Scottsdale in May (19-22) at the
DoubleTree Paradise Valley. The announcement was made on NANOG about an
hour ago, so it is not yet up on the NANOG site. The last one I hosted,
in the fall of '97, created a lot of good press and general world
awareness that Phoenix is not a black hole on the 'net, but actually is
home to many savvy people, and good companies. So if any of you would
like to get involved in the organization and running of the meeting,
send me email *off-list* to rjoffe@centergate.com.

There are some ground rules that some of you may not be aware of, so I
suggest you scour the website at http://www.nanog.org. The most
important thing is that this is *not* commercial. Suits, and sales
people are not welcome (please don't take personal offense, them's the
unwritten rules ;-)), and any salesmen or recruiters masquerading as
geeks (long hair, beards, birkenstocks etc.) will be marched off the
premises instantly (don't laugh, it has happened before).

There is a beer-and-geer forum for product demonstrations on one of the
evenings, so if you really really believe that you have a product or
service that plumbers would be interested in, contact the folks at Merit
who wrangle NANOG (see the nanog website). The regular participants are
Cisco, Lucent, Nortel, Bay Networks, etc., as a guideline. But *no
selling*! Those companies are invited back because they send clueful
engineers, not salesmen.

For those of you who are truly interested in the culture, history,
technology, and people who make this 'thing' work, it is an awesome
opportunity. And lest you believe that the claim that the group includes
the folks that actually built this Internet is as bogus as Al Gore's,
you're in for a neat surprise.

Back to lurking.
--
Rodney Joffe
CenterGate Research Group, LLC.

Unless otherwise noted, list emails are NOT invitations for sales calls
Arizona Internet Professionals Association http://www.azipa.org
Next AZIPA monthly meeting is 5:30pm Monday, March 26, 2001
List-Unsubscribe mailto:azipa-unsubscribe@yahoogroups.com
Showcase and sponsor sign-up is at http://www.acteva.com/go/azipa
Thank you to the following AZIPA Discussion List sponsors/supporters:
* Greenberg Traurig, LLP - http://www.gtlaw.com
* Business Journal of Phoenix - http://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix