Any Sane users out there? (Or any sane Users out there?)

Robert N. Eaton moth28@infinet-is.com
Sun, 18 Mar 2001 13:53:51 -0700

Hi All,

I have been reading massively concerning getting my scanner set up and
working.  The more I read, the less I understand.

To recapitulate: My system is a generic PII 233; 64 megs RAM; dual-boot
Win95 on hda1 and Caldera Open Linux Desktop 2.4 (using kernel 2.2.14)
on hdb1; UMAX Astra 1220s scanner; Adaptec 2906; aic7xxx scsi host
adapter driver loaded and enabled and scsi_mod loaded and enabled.  (The
scanner works great in Win95.)

System Information (K-> Settings-> Information-> SCSI) states:

	Attached Devices:
		Host: scsi0  Channel: 00  Id: 04  Lun: 00
		Vendor: UMAX  Model: Astra 1221s    Rev: V1.3
		Type:   Scanner    ANSI SCSI  revision: 02

Therefore, I _think_ that my box actually does recognize the scanner.

According to documentation, the command xscanimage _should_ bring up
Sane in a graphical interface.  Only it doesn't.  The documentation
states that you don't even need a scanner to use Sane, but I have never
gotten it to work.  I think my edition of Sane is broken, but I could be
mistaken.

I downloaded the tar balls for the latest version of Sane and tried
./configure,  make, and make install without success, but that's another
story. I guess the question I should be asking is, "How do _you_ get
Sane to boot and to work?"  I really don't know whether I have a problem
with Sane, a problem with the scanner, or with both.

Any ideas?

Bob Eaton