Overheating system

Mark mark@microsolve.co.uk
Fri, 16 Mar 2001 09:12:41 -0000

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0ADF9.46BE655E

I fried one of those suckers by forgetting to put heat sync compound on it.
Ouch!  The guy at our vendor said he had one guy who fried one by simply
sticking  a muffin fan on the processor with double-sided tape.  No heat
sync.

Nice to know I'm not the dumbest guy in the world, eh?  (:

-----Original Message-----
From: Pete Buechler [mailto:peter.buechler@home.com]
Sent: 16 March 2001 04:53
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us; Kurt Granroth
Subject: Re: Overheating system

On Thursday 15 March 2001 06:19 pm, Kurt Granroth wrote:

> But I'm still a bit worried.  Why does the CPU heat up so much and so
> fast?  With only the BIOS setup screen running, it will go from about
> 40C to 55C in less than a minute.  This seems very odd to me.  Could
> it be that the CPU is "broken" and pushes out a lot more heat than it
> should?  How could I tell?
>
> Anybody have an experience here?

Is that a slot A Athlon? It MUST be used with a heat sink which straps onto
the processor module. Twin fans are built in which blow air through the heat

sink continually. Then you should have a case fan to pull the warmed air out

of the case. The armoir is probably a BAD idea. The power supply fan is nice

to keep the power supply from adding to the heat problems. But from your
description of the run-up I suspect that you do not have a heat sink with
fans attached to your processor module.

-Pete-

------_=_NextPart_001_01C0ADF9.46BE655E

<HTML>
<HEAD>
charset=3Diso-8859-1">
5.5.2448.0">
<TITLE>RE: Overheating system</TITLE>
</HEAD>
<BODY>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>I fried one of those suckers by forgetting to put =
heat sync compound on it.&nbsp; Ouch!&nbsp; The guy at our vendor said =
he had one guy who fried one by simply sticking&nbsp; a muffin fan on =
the processor with double-sided tape.&nbsp; No heat sync.&nbsp; =
</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Nice to know I'm not the dumbest guy in the world, =
eh?&nbsp; (:</FONT>
</P>
<BR>
<BR>

<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>From: Pete Buechler [<A =
HREF=3D"mailto:peter.buechler@home.com">mailto:peter.buechler@home.com</=
A>]</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Sent: 16 March 2001 04:53</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us; Kurt =
Granroth</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>Subject: Re: Overheating system</FONT>
</P>
<BR>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>On Thursday 15 March 2001 06:19 pm, Kurt Granroth =
wrote:</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; But I'm still a bit worried.&nbsp; Why does the =
CPU heat up so much and so</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; fast?&nbsp; With only the BIOS setup screen =
running, it will go from about</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; 40C to 55C in less than a minute.&nbsp; This =
seems very odd to me.&nbsp; Could</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; it be that the CPU is &quot;broken&quot; and =
pushes out a lot more heat than it</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; should?&nbsp; How could I tell?</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt;</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>&gt; Anybody have an experience here?</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Is that a slot A Athlon? It MUST be used with a heat =
sink which straps onto </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>the processor module. Twin fans are built in which =
blow air through the heat </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>sink continually. Then you should have a case fan to =
pull the warmed air out </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>of the case. The armoir is probably a BAD idea. The =
power supply fan is nice </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>to keep the power supply from adding to the heat =
problems. But from your </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>description of the run-up I suspect that you do not =
have a heat sink with </FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>fans attached to your processor module.</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>-Pete-</FONT>
</P>

<P><FONT =
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2>See <A =
HREF=3D"http://PLUG.phoenix.az.us/navigator-mail.shtml" =
TARGET=3D"_blank">http://PLUG.phoenix.az.us/navigator-mail.shtml</A> if =
your mail doesn't post to the list quickly and you use Netscape to =
write mail.</FONT></P>

<P><FONT SIZE=3D2>Plug-discuss mailing list&nbsp; -&nbsp; =
Plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us</FONT>
<BR><FONT SIZE=3D2><A =
HREF=3D"http://lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us/mailman/listinfo/plug-discuss" =