Copy This! Can 'Military' Technology Beat Digital Piracy?

Vaughn Treude vaughn@nakota-software.com
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 13:06:56 -0700

--------------0C5C494416B9B7BB89A48A8A

As SPOCK would say (a reference to the acronym referenced within the story), "Interesting."   I need to look at Bruce Schneier's
article supposedly refuting Intether's claim.
I'm not opposed to this in principle, but I'd be a little concerned about Intether snooping on my system.  What if their customers paid
them to spy on people for the purpose of looking for copyright pirates?  If they did, I'm not sure there'd be a way you could block it
without inspiring "countermeasures."
Of course, you could always do a hardware-based attack, for example, record a song off the audio output, or use a specialized monitor
that's optimized for doing photographs (I played with a video-to-slidemaker device way back in the early '80's that was pretty cool by
the standards of those days.)   Documents would be more difficult because you'd need to process them in OCR, always a bit of a pain but
doable.  If you made a digital recording of the analog rendition, there'd be some info loss but it could still produce a fairly
high-quality recording (definitely as good as the LP's of yore.)
I suppose a lot of people won't bother with that, but I'd watch for a boom in cheap analog-to-digital recording devices.

Vaughn

proudhawk@uswestmail.net wrote:

> makes for some interesting reading.
> However, giving someone blanket control of your machine smacks of "big brother".
>
> follow the link and read.
>
> http://inside.com/jcs/Story?article_id=25476&pod_id=13
>
> Hawke
>
> Signup for your free USWEST.mail Email account http://www.uswestmail.net

*****************
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Industrial Software Development

--------------0C5C494416B9B7BB89A48A8A

As SPOCK would say (a reference to the acronym referenced within the story),
"Interesting."&nbsp;&nbsp; I need to look at Bruce Schneier's article supposedly
refuting Intether's claim.
about Intether snooping on my system.&nbsp; What if their customers paid
them to spy on people for the purpose of looking for copyright pirates?&nbsp;
If they did, I'm not sure there'd be a way you could block it without inspiring
"countermeasures."
record a song off the audio output, or use a specialized monitor that's
optimized for doing photographs (I played with a video-to-slidemaker device
way back in the early '80's that was pretty cool by the standards of those
days.)&nbsp;&nbsp; Documents would be more difficult because you'd need
to process them in OCR, always a bit of a pain but doable.&nbsp; If you
made a digital recording of the analog rendition, there'd be some info
loss but it could still produce a fairly high-quality recording (definitely
as good as the LP's of yore.)
a boom in cheap analog-to-digital recording devices.
brother".
if your mail doesn't post to the list quickly and you use Netscape to write
mail.

<pre>--&nbsp;
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Industrial Software Development</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

--------------0C5C494416B9B7BB89A48A8A--