Need ISP!!!

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Thu, 15 Mar 2001 00:44:00 -0700 (MST)

Am 15. Mar, 2001 schwäzte Craig White so:

> I've always felt that gross stupity is it's own reward (punishment).

Unfortunately it becomes a punishment for those of us who have to deal
with the mess it makes :(.

> The problem is wasted bandwidth because broadcasts - by their very nature -
> are wide ranging and should be minimized. I wonder how well the @home

That's part of the mess.

> network would perform if they assigned static IP's instead of asking
> everyone to use DHCP.

Shouldn't be too bad if they block stuff crossing their network borders.

> SMB traffic on the public internet is a gross violation of bandwidth and
> should always be contained in VPN tunnels if remote networking is the goal.
> It is actually scary how many TCP packets of port 137, 138 & 139 are
> bouncing around and many providers don't quash them. I consider them to be a
> marketing opportunity to sell a firewall, but I don't have the time.

I'm thinking of setting up a public dhcp server. If they're gonna ask me
for an IP, I'll give them one :). Anything fun we can do with 13[789]
broadcasts?

ciao,

der.hans
--