Samba's nmbd daemon

Gary Nichols gary@linuxchimp.com
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 21:51:21 -0700

check your nmb log file... log.nmb or nmb.log depending on your distro.
This will usually tell you if it's a problem with your smb.conf file or
perhaps something stranger... :)

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of Rick
Rosinski
Sent: Wednesday, March 14, 2001 11:34 AM
To: PLUG
Subject: Samba's nmbd daemon

Well, I have been busy setting up samba, have read the howto, and the man
pages.  I also checked out a samba article on linux-mag.com.  Samba seems to
load successfully, and there is a process ID for the smbd daemon, but there
is *no* process id for the nmbd daemon (checked this using "ps -A | more").
I have read that the nmbd daemon is responsible for NetBIOS and name
resolution between the machines.  No matter what I try, Windows' "Network
Neighborhood" doesn't show any connection to my linux host.  And I think it
is because nmbd will not stay running for some reason (and there is no error
message, it just won't stay running).  Here is my smb.conf and my rc.samba
scripts.  Any advice is definitely appreciated.

My smb.conf

       ; /etc/smb.conf
       ;
       ; Make sure and restart the server after making changes to this file,
ex:
       ; /etc/rc.d/rc.samba stop
       ; /etc/rc.d/rc.samba start

       [global]
       ; Uncomment this if you want a guest account
       ; guest account = nobody
          workgroup = WORKGROUP
          hosts allow = 192.168.1. 127.
          log file = /var/log/samba-log.%m
          lock directory = /var/lock/samba
          share modes = Yes
          bind interfaces only = No
          load printers = Yes
          guest only = Yes
          writeable = Yes
          browsable = Yes
          public = Yes
          socket options = TCP_NODELAY
          path = /

       [homes]
          comment = Home Directories
          path = /
          read only = No
          create mode = 0750
          guest only = Yes
          writeable = Yes
          browsable = Yes
          public = Yes

#       [inkjet]
#         comment = "Inkjet"
#         path=/var/spool/lpd/psjet
#         printer = psjet
#         read only = No
#         public = Yes
#         guest only = Yes
#         printable = Yes
#         print command = lpr -r -h -P%p %s

       [tmp]
          comment = Temporary file space
          path = /tmp
          read only = no
          public = yes

       [public]
          comment = Public Stuff
          path = /
          public = yes
          guest only = Yes
          writable = yes
          printable = no
          create mode = 0750
          browsable = Yes

My rc.samba

      #!/bin/sh

      #
      # /etc/rc.d/rc.samba - starts and stops SMB services.
      #
      # The following files should be synbolic links to this file:
      # symlinks: /etc/rc.d/rc1.d/K35smb  (Kills SMB services on shutdown)
      #           /etc/rc.d/rc3.d/S91smb  (Starts SMB services in multiuser
mode)
      #           /etc/rc.d/rc6.d/K35smb  (Kills SMB services on reboot)
      #

      # Source function library.
      # . /etc/rc.d/init.d/functions

      # Source networking configuration.