ps is slow compared to other unixes

Bill Warner wwarner@direct-alliance.com
14 Mar 2001 09:48:32 -0700

Has anyone else noticed that ps seems to be extreamely slow on high
load servers?

One of our servers that was runing exact same hardware under sco unix
runs ps almost instatly showing all procs on system.

On linux (redhat 6.2) ps is extreamly slow.  To the point where
sometimes
it will take in the area of 1-5 minutes just to get the resaults.  While
the rest
of the server is running at an average slow (because of high loads and
many
users) ps seems to be hundred fold worse.  our hpux, digital unix, and
sco
boxes never had this trouble.  Any idea as to why?

Bill Warner
Direct Alliance Corp.
Unix/Linux Admin.