Setting up samba

Rick Rosinski rick@rickrosinski.com
Wed, 14 Mar 2001 09:38:05 +0000

I need a little help with configuring samba.

I am working on getting samba to work between my Slack box and my Win98 box.
I was reading the SMB-HOWTO and I am finding it pretty informative.  But, I
have noticed that the example scripts, like the /etc/rc.d/smb script, is
based on RH-based systems, that use sysconfig and killproc commands, which
are not in Slack.  I want to work around that.  Below is part of the smb
script that I want to have functional.  I have included comments (after # )
refering to what I plan to modify.  The "start" case clause is easy to
modify, but the "stop" clause has that "killproc" command.  What do I use to
substitute killproc?

      case "$1" in
        start)
          echo -n "Starting SMB services: "
          daemon smbd -D  # to be replaced with /usr/bin/smbd -D
          daemon nmbd -D  # to be replaced with /usr/bin/nmbd -D
          echo
          touch /var/lock/subsys/smb
          ;;
        stop)
          echo -n "Shutting down SMB services: "
          killproc smbd  # what do I do to get this to work without killproc?
          killproc nmbd  # same as above.
          rm -f /var/lock/subsys/smb
          echo ""
          ;;