Need ISP!!!

plug@arcticmail.com plug@arcticmail.com
Tue, 13 Mar 2001 13:36:56 -0700

The 10/8, 172.16/12 and 192.168/16 are RFC1918
"private" (non-routeable) IP addresses.  This
means "you can't get they-ahh from he-ahh" or
"well, if I wah goin' to a 192.168/16, ahh
certainly wouldn't staahhht from he-ahh."

I hope she doesn't mean that she'll assign you
an RFC1918 non-routeable static IP address.
Dat no wok!

The reason for having a static IP address, other
than so "the man" can track all the pr0n sites
you visit and make a specific assocation to you
(or at least to your computer), is to set up servers
(mail, web, ftp, irc, gopher).  One CAN set up
servers with a dynamic IP address (via DDNS
and cousins), but it's a PITA compared to a
simple static and plain ol' regular DNS.