GRUB and GAG

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 16:10:17 -0700 (MST)

Am 09. Mar, 2001 schwäzte Kevin Buettner so:

> Anyway, I went out searching for a new boot manager and found two of
> them.  The one that I haven't tried (yet, anyway) is GRUB:
>
>     http://www.gnu.org/software/grub/grub.html
>
> It is part of the GNU project and is GPL'd.  There's been no official
> release yet, though development versions are available.

Mandrake uses grub. It's pretty cool. Has to understand the filesystem the
boot image resides on. I think it does *BSD. It does do ext2 and some m$
filesystems. Don't know about reiser.

It's menu driven.

Thought RedHat was moving to it as well. Some of debian wants to, but I
don't know if they are actually going to start defaulting to grub.

> The one that I did install is GAG.  See
>
>     http://raster.cibermillennium.com/gageng.htm
>
> It's a graphical boot manager and was super easy to install and

Can it do a text only menu as well? Some of my machines are completely
controlled via rs232 connections, so 9600 baud text is a must at boot.

> configure.  It is able to boot the three OSes that I have installed on
> the box and apparently is capable of booting up to six more.  It is
> also licensed under the GPL.  The only (minor) complaint that I have
> about it is that the documentation was written by someone whose native
> tongue is definitely not English.  Still, it was comprehensible, and I
> had no problem getting the program to work.

The docs is a great way for people to help out Free Software
projects. Those of us that aren't programming gurus can still turn in bug
fixes, write documentation, etc. If you see a typo in a man page or other
documentation let the package maintainer know. Document something that
isn't documented and turn it in. Most programmers would love to have that
as that's the part they don't want to work on :).

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  When I work, I work hard. When I play, I play hard.