New (old) scanner

Paul Dickson dickson@permanentmail.com
Sat, 10 Mar 2001 12:22:32 -0700

I'm guessing you meant ISA slot, not IDE slot.  If that's the case the easiest
solution is to buy a PCI SCSI card.

Detection of ISA cards is weak.  I've heard it's much better in 2.4, but
motherboards no longer come with ISA slots.  So it appears you will have
provide Linux with clues as to what card to initialize and possible the
card's parameters too.  This means boot command-line parameters!

You will want to go to the Device manager in Win95 and write down on paper
the info on how it accesses this card.  You'll want interrupt number and
IO-Port (maybe more).

Next, in Linux, you'll want to locate which SCSI driver you'll need for
your card.  You can find these in /usr/src/linux/drivers/scsi/.  Check out
the C file for your card for command line parameters.  As an example, from
aha152x.c:

> LILO COMMAND LINE OPTIONS:
>
>  aha152x=<IOPORT>[,<IRQ>[,<SCSI-ID>[,<RECONNECT>[,<PARITY>[,<SYNCHRONOUS>[,<DELAY> [,<EXT_TRANS]]]]]]]

You might be able to do an insmod and insert the appropriate module with
the necessary parameters without rebooting.  After you get it running though,
you'll want to get the parameters into an "append=" statement in LILO so it
will work on the next reboot too.

You might want to "cat" /proc/pci and /proc/interrupts to see if there are
any hints about the card's existence in mind-set.

	-Paul