West Side PLUG, was: Re: Last Warning

Furmanek, Greg Greg.Furmanek@hit.cendant.com
Fri, 9 Mar 2001 09:28:28 -0500

I am glad to see it too.
It is probably not as close to GCC as other people but
It is still 1/4 of the way I was making to the East
Side Location.

-----Original Message-----
From: Vaughn Treude [mailto:vaughn@nakota-software.com]
Sent: Thursday, March 08, 2001 8:08 AM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: West Side PLUG, was: Re: Last Warning

Excellent!  I live VERY close to GCC.   And last Tuesday also works out
well.

Vaughn Treude

foodog wrote:

I'm happy to say I was previously mislead: GCC can be used for meetings
as long as someone who's an employee attends the meetings - that'll be
me initially.

For those familiar with GCC, I have my eye on the HT1 Teleconference
room.  It's comfortable, spacious, and has networking - I'll need to do
some  negotiating for a network connection but I think it can happen.

What we need to do is determine a day and time that would be good for
the largest number of people.  The room's generally available evenings.
Tuesday and Thursday evenings at 6:00pm are usually free, for example. I
can check on proposed dates within one day, and reserve the room.

I'll commit to arranging space for 3 months for starters; indefinitely
if the experience proves to be "better than a poke in the eye with a
sharp stick".

"der.hans" wrote:
> The main thing is to follow up with whoever runs to location to make sure
> it keeps getting reserved after the initial setup. The rest is up to you
> and those who show up. Easiest is to just hang out and do installfest
> things as people show up.

I've had kinda a negative experience w/ installfest so I don't want to
rely on that too much :-).  I think I could fill about 30 minutes and
not screw up too badly with something like "intro. security for home
users": inventorying services and killing them, installing portsentry
and logcheck.  I can usually type "rpm -i"
with the best of em.

> part of GCC is one of the advantages to doing this as PLUG. Not to say
> anything bad about GCC, but there are politics and indifference in any
> such organization to overcome. ...

Not being a student club avoids *many* annoying problems and
negotiations.

> 2nd Thu is PLUG. 3rd Tue is Linux Stammtisch. 3rd Wed is ASULUG. I'd
> suggest not conflicting with those :).

Just to get the ball rolling, how about the last Tuesday of the month at
6pm?  That'd be 3/27.

Steve

Nakota Software, Inc.

Custom Industrial Software Development

"The sender believes that this E-mail and any attachments were free of any
virus, worm, Trojan horse, and/or malicious code when sent.  This message
and its attachments could have been infected during transmission.  By
reading the message and opening any attachments, the recipient accepts full
responsibility for taking protective and remedial action about viruses and
other defects.  The sender's employer is not liable for any loss or damage
arising in any way from this message or its attachments."