debian package mgt

Eric Richardson eric@milagrosoft.com
Thu, 08 Mar 2001 14:25:28 -0700

"der.hans" wrote:

> Am 08. Mar, 2001 schwäzte Eric Richardson so:
>
> > "der.hans" wrote:
> > > debian is working on a way to grab a package from a specific dist,
> > > e.g. stable, testing or unstable. The new mechanism will be something
> > > like:
> >
> > > Half of my machines are exclusivelely testing. Been using these things
> > > for months, just keep not getting to putting them up for others to use.
> >

> > Could you recommend a window manager for stable. I accepted the twm
> > default and don't like it?
>
> I use enlightenment. I tried 'gnome', but can't change a few of the
> settings to something sane. I'm sure I could do it by munging rc files,
> but that requires restarting X :).
>
> Use 'update-alternatives' to point to the default wm you want. That or
> just unistall all the other ones :).
>
> I've been unhappy with saw[fish|mill] and windowmaker...

I guess I don't understand, are there other desktops other than gnome
and kde? Maybe somebody can explain or maybe that is what the meeting is
about.

I loaded up icewm and removed twm. I really like the apt-get so I'd be
really interested in hearing about these new features which was the
original topic. Though window managers and desktop environments make
good threads. Gnome does use alot of memory.

eric :-)