debian package mgt

Eric Richardson eric@milagrosoft.com
Thu, 08 Mar 2001 11:11:37 -0700

"der.hans" wrote:

> moin, moin,
>
> debian is working on a way to grab a package from a specific dist,
> e.g. stable, testing or unstable. The new mechanism will be something
> like:

> Half of my machines are exclusivelely testing. Been using these things
> for months, just keep not getting to putting them up for others to use.

Could you recommend a window manager for stable. I accepted the twm
default and don't like it?

Here is what I got from the debian list.

1> Stable, fast, and GNOME support = WindowMaker, IceWM
1> Stable, not as fast, and GNOME support = Sawfish
1> Stable, very fast, and KDE support (but no GNOME) = Blackbox
1>
1> Since you're running stable, Sawfish will be called Sawmill.
Blackbox
1> will be OLD, and WindowMaker will be stale, not sure about IceWM.

2> I use wmaker, blackbox and icewm kind of interchangeably, depending
on my
2> mood.
2>
2> No terribly deep reasons why: I like the ease of changing wmaker's
look,
2> the simplicity and cleanliness of blackbox and ... I don't know why I
like
2> icewm. :-)

Thanks,
Eric :-)