open sc mtg notes

der.hans PLUGd@LuftHans.com
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 22:57:02 -0700 (MST)

Am 08. Mar, 2001 schwäzte Deepak Saxena so:

> As I mentioned in the steering list, I'm going to try to get a separate
> dev group going every month.  I need to think about how to run this

Most cool.

> b/c we already have a perl group and a php group in town, and I don't
> really want to cross into their turf.  I'd like this to focus specifically
> on development ON linux.  So things like gtk, qt, kernel haxoring,
> autoconf, optimizing with gcc, kgdb, etc, etc. Not how to access a

autoconf, yeah, yeah, autoconf! :)

> database with php or how to write cool java applets.  That's for the php
> and java(is there one in town?) groups to discuss.

Yup, JUG was one of the sponsors for the first esr talk.

Various meeting times:

PLUG                    2nd Thu
Linux Stammtisch        3rd Tue
ASULUG                  3rd Wed
Java Users Group        2nd Wed
Wireless Users Group    1st? Wed
Perl Mongers            2nd Tue
Perl Mongers            3rd Tue ( yep twice a month )
AZPHP                   4th Tue
AZIPA                   4th Mon ( not quite tech, but a few of us go )
AZSAGE                  2nd Thu ( they moved and conflict with PLUG :(

Anybody want to point out the m$, os/2 and mac groups?

> Cool.  I'd love to offer MV, but Hans has been to our offices and knows
> how tiny they are. :(

We could get 20 or 30 people in there if we'd hang chairs from the ceiling
;-).

> ALAN COX baby! :) A one day seminar is a big thing to go for. We need

He or Linus would be most awesome. Still want to get rms too, but probably
not for a Linux b-day ;-).

> some major corp. sponsors and really interesting topics. Let me know
> how I can help.

Paul, Carl, looks like we got a volunteer :).

> This was one of my big things I wanted to bring up.  I suggested that
> when we announce that meetings start @ 7pm, the presentation will start
> by 7:15 AT THE LATEST.  I read slashot, lwn, linux.com, linux journal,

You're doing better than I. I've been one of the most grevious offenders
with this and will try to curb it for tomorrow.

> 	1) "Hello", plug related announcements
>    2) Presentation + q/a (limit this to 1:15 unless its like Alan Cox)
>    3) Open announcements (php group, jobs, slashdot news, etc, etc)

I'd like to see the other group announcements before the main event.

> 1) This topic keeps coming up every so often, but with us wanting
>    to do a 1-2 day thing for the 10th aniversary, I think it might
>    be time to revisit.  Non-profit status.  I think this would help
>    us a lot as it would be easier to get companies to donate money
>    which could be used for things like advertising, equipment, a
>    dedicated high end server/connection, etc, etc.

That's something that comes up once in a while on the steering
committee. We tried to hash it out at least once. I even took a class on
starting a non-profit and got the paperwork we'd need. Let's keep this off
discuss just because it's a major pain in the paperwork. OTOH, in order to
not exclude people I propose those interested in helping us work out
whether or not PLUG should go NPO and want to get involved let Jim or I
know and we'll find a way to include you if we get some momemtum behind
this idea.

> 2) Try to get more people from companies (in/out of town) to come
>    talk.

Yup. I really want to have someone come in for ITEC this year.

> 3) Focus on linux related topics for meetings.  We've gotten much
>    better, but in the past we've had some topics which IMHO are not
>    linux related (speedchoice pops to mind). It's a cool subject, yes,

We didn't have anyone else willing to get up and talk :).

>    but let's focus on growing the linux community and knowledge base
>    in the valley.

We've just got to have enough speakers. We've got topics...

ciao,

der.hans
--
#  der.hans@LuftHans.com   home.pages.de/~lufthans/   www.YourCompanyHere.net ;-)
#  Help Jerry Lewis stamp out M$...oops that's MDA - der.hans