2.4.x kernel and reiserfs

Shawn T. Rutledge ecloud@bigfoot.com
Wed, 7 Mar 2001 00:19:10 -0700

On Tue, Mar 06, 2001 at 01:24:45PM -0700, Kurt Granroth wrote:
> But I was willing to put up with all that for awhile.. until just a
> few days ago.  Thursday night, I had a system crash and when I
> rebooted, I found that I had a corrupted filesystem.  The reiserfsck
> utility just made things worse and for awhile, I thought I had lost
> everything.  After a LOT of help by Chris Mason, though, I was able to
> recover most of my data.. but that was the last straw for me.  I can
> handle the NFS and vmware stuff but I can't stomach random
> corruptions.  The reiserfs mailing list also has scores of problem

Bummer!

I'm using it with 2.4.1, on my "experimental" system, only for /var
so at least if it dies the system will still be bootable.  I have
been storing all my mp3's on this filesystem (nearly 8 gigs and
counting), and playing them via NFS, and sometimes writing new ones
via NFS too... no problems so far.  But I'm also using the kernel
NFS server.  Maybe it works better than the old nfsd with ReiserFS?

I also used it for the root filesystem on my dad's gateway server,
mainly because he kept bugging me every time the power went out and
it needed to be fscked.  So far no complaints, but that machine's not
doing much right now either.  Initial installation was a bit of a
pain... I made a custom kernel to make a modified Debian rescue disk,
installed the base distro by hand, and then had to use grub instead of
lilo... but grub is very cool!

--
  _______                   Shawn T. Rutledge / KB7PWD  ecloud@bigfoot.com
 (_  | |_)          http://www.bigfoot.com/~ecloud  kb7pwd@kb7pwd.ampr.org