Creating Super User

sinck@ugive.com sinck@ugive.com
Tue, 6 Mar 2001 20:54:11 -0700

\_ How does one go about creating a new super user? Simply making them a
\_ member of the root group doesn't seem to work (this is on RH7.0). Can I
\_ get rid of the root account after doing this? Will I have to change
\_ permissions of /etc/passwd and /etc/shadow after doing this? Please tell
\_ me there is a flag or something to adduser.

adduser or some other means of getting the system to initialize all
the fun parts (/etc/shadow, /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/mindblank,
etc) then 'vipw' and change the new user id to 0.

From my days at LLNL, they would give the primary sysadmin 'root', and
give all sysadmins 'user_r', and 'user'.  At this point though, I bet
sudo is a better option for a goodly number of problems.

David