New (old) scanner

Robert N. Eaton moth28@infinet-is.com
Tue, 06 Mar 2001 07:37:45 -0700

Hi all,

This week-end I noticed Fry's had an add for a Umax, Astra 1220S scsi
scanner at $49.95, with card and cable.  I contacted Sane at
www.mostang.com and searched the info.  They state that this model is
supported without qualification. I asked the salesman how old the
scanner and he told me that this model had been out for at least three
years.

I bought the scanner and installed the card (no name or brand that I
could discover, has only an external port, no facilities for internal
cables) and it works fine in Win95.

I added scsi support to my kernel, and the boot log shows scsi - OK,
instead of scsi - SKIP.

Sane is supposed to be installed in my distribution (Caldera Open Linux
2.4), and I even have an icon installed to start it.  However, sane
doesn't seem to work and Linux doesn't seem to recognize that I have a
scsi device installed.  What else do I have to do?

I did read somewhere in some documentation or other, that the scsi cards
accompanying the Umax scanners don't always work in Linux.  Standard
scsi cards at Fry's range from appr. $60 to $90, with High Speed and
scsi II with all the bells and whistles (which I do _not_ need) go up to
$400+. Should I buy a new card or does someone have lying about a scsi
card known to work with Linux that I might borrow to test my system to
see if the card is at fault.

Ideas???

Bob Eaton