UCITA has landed in AZ.

Vaughn Treude vaughn@nakota-software.com
Fri, 02 Mar 2001 17:06:56 -0700

--------------0E0FF4485F3018250026934F

I've sent messages to my legislators, and urge other folks to do the same.  It's strange for a Libertarian like myself to oppose
something that appears (on the surface) to extend the freedom of contract, but having seen how the courts tend to pervert everything
they touch, UCITA scares the living hell out of me.   It'll give the big guys the power to keep little guys like myself from ever
becoming serious competition.

Vaughn Treude

Alan Dayley wrote:

> These are the "talking points" (I hate that term) from www.4site.org.  The
> second to the last item is reason enough to kill it, assuming these summary
> points are correct.
>
> I still need to read more about this issue...
>
> Alan
>
> UCITA modifies existing contract law to favor large software publishers in
> their sales to and contracting with businesses and consumers.
>
> UCITA allows consumers to become licensees who are bound to the terms of
> the contract provided in "shrink-wrap" products or "click-on" agreements.
>
> UCITA allows software publishers to shut down mission-critical software
> remotely without court approval and without incurring liability for the
> foreseeable harm caused.
>
> UCITA allows software publishers to prohibit the transfer of software from
> one person to another or one company to another -- even in the course of a
> merger or acquisition.
>
> UCITA shields software publishers from liability for damage caused by
> defects known to the software publisher, but undisclosed to the licensee,
> at the time of purchase.
>
> If the consumer wants to sue over a defective product, UCITA allows the
> software publisher to restrict legal action to a specific jurisdiction -- a
> particular county, state or even a different country.
>
> UCITA threatens library services currently permissible such as
> inter-library loan, distance learning programs, archiving and preservation.
>
> UCITA binds purchasers to terms disclosed only after the purchaser pays for
> the software, and allows the software publisher to change the terms of the
> contract unilaterally by e-mail.
>
> UCITA allows software publishers to legally track and collect confidential
> information about personal and business activities of licensees.
>
> UCITA allows software publishers to prohibit public criticism of their
> products.
>
> At 08:45 AM 3/2/01 -0800, you wrote:
> >If we're going to explain to people why this legislature is a bad idea, we
> >need more than that though - We need a detailed explanation of how it will
> >affect individual consumers, the corporate consumer, and even the
> >state/federal gov't (as a consumer).

*****************
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Industrial Software Development

--------------0E0FF4485F3018250026934F

I've sent messages to my legislators, and urge other folks to do the same.&nbsp;
It's strange for a Libertarian like myself to oppose something that appears
(on the surface) to extend the freedom of contract, but having seen how
the courts tend to pervert everything they touch, UCITA scares the living
hell out of me.&nbsp;&nbsp; It'll give the big guys the power to keep little
guys like myself from ever becoming serious competition.
from www.4site.org.&nbsp; The
summary
in
of
the
from
of a
the
-- a
for
of the
idea, we
it will
if your
if your mail doesn't
www.adtron.com
x331
if your mail doesn't post to the list quickly and you use Netscape to write
mail.

<pre>--&nbsp;
Nakota Software, Inc.
Custom Industrial Software Development</pre>
&nbsp;</html>

--------------0E0FF4485F3018250026934F--