Possible project

George Toft plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sat, 30 Jun 2001 15:11:03 -0700

Uh, what defines "true Unix"?  If you follow the history of Unix
from the makers of Unix (http://www.bell-labs.com/history/unix/),
they indicate Novell UnixWare is the current state of Unix.  (Novell
sold UnixWare to SCO, which was bought by Caldera.)  BSD was developed
from AT&T code in 1978
(http://pluto.phys.nwu.edu/~zhaoyj/learn/Unix-system/ch01.htm)
and so was Solaris.

To chaos to the otherwise orderly description above, consider this
figure: http://leb.net/hzo/ioscount/ix_unix_net_pic.html

Even though AIX and Linux are on opposite ends on the chart, Linux looks
and feels more like AIX than Solaris.  This will be even more so after
IBM releases AIX-5L (yes, the L is for Linux).

So what is "true Unix"?

I say, "There is no such thing."

George