Dual Monitor setup didn't - still

Gontran plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 29 Jun 2001 17:36:24 -0700

* Gene Holmerud (geneous@bigfoot.com) wrote:
> Thanks Brian.  I blindly kept those zeros in there from the install
> version of XF86Config-4.  Unfortunately, removing them gave me the
> same results.  I tried the GNOME configuration GUI tools, but nothing
> referred to extending the desktop to another monitor.
>
> Gene
>

> > Try changing your ServerLayout section to looks something like:
> >
> > Section "ServerLayout"
> >  Identifier "HOWTO XFree86 Configured"
> >  Screen "Screen0"
> >  Screen "Screen1" RightOf "Screen0"
> >  InputDevice    "Mouse0" "CorePointer"
> >  InputDevice    "Keyboard0" "CoreKeyboard"
> > EndSection

Gene,

Rummaging through some saved XFree86 newbie archives, I found some tips that
might help you out here.  Haven't tried them myself ... don't run xinemera,
BUT it is a very good thing that you're seeing that hased background and
the 'X' cursor on the second monitor.  That means X is running there.

I think you just need to get some WindowManager running there or some apps.

Good luck.

Gontran

----------- message from XFree86 Newbie list October --------------

It sounds like you need to force your WM to use the second head. If you do
not have Xinerama (Win-style multihead) enabled, only the following WMs (in
my experience) will auto-init the second head: Window Maker, Enlightenment,
OLVWM, MLVWM. All others will have to be explicitly told to run on the
second head (display localhost:0.1, the first is localhost:0.0). XFCE, KDE
and Window Maker are easy to start on 0.1, GNOME is a pain. But, put this in
your ~/.xinitrc and see what it does:

xterm -display :0.1 -iconic -e startkde &

before any lines that run GNOME/KDE/XFCE or other WM on the first head, and
definitely before any lines that start with 'exec'. This will run KDE on the
second head. You do, of course, need KDE installed.

 [ xfree86 config snipped ]