Linux article

Gary Nichols plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 26 Jun 2001 17:29:58 -0700

Has anyone emailed the author to let them know of our existance?
Perhaps we should mail him a tin of penguin mints?  :-)

I've been interviewed by a few technology reporters from the AZ
Republic over the years, and for the most part they keep their facts
pretty straight.  You just need to keep their minds from wandering
while you explain what a kernel is.  LOL

~G~

- -----Original Message-----
From: plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
[mailto:plug-discuss-admin@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us]On Behalf Of
Derek
Neighbors
Sent: Tuesday, June 26, 2001 4:03 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Linux article

> "Linux has made great strides," said Marty
> Wesley, product manager at Red Hat
> (www.redhat.com), one of the largest sellers
> of Linux-based software and services. "It's a
> much more graphic environment than it used
> to be. You don't have to worry so much
> about typing in line commands like you used
> to."

Yes I did not see this the first read but did see in the second read.

> Often Linux distributions are free
> for the downloading off the Internet or
> typically cost less than $30.

I still did not see this even on the second read.

It also did say there were user groups, but instead of linking
directly to
some it gave a link to a user group listing and that link had the .
included in the link so it did not resolve.

> However, the author obviously does not understand open source as
> can be seen here where he infers a cost is sometime needed to
> download the code...

Um.  That is correct.  I think some 'open source' licenses could in
fact
restrict you from distributing thus locking you in.  In fact didnt
Caldera announce they were trying to do such a thing? However 'free
software' would not allow this.

> Not a BAD article, just very shallow.

The article wasnt bad, but I think there were some statements in the
wrong
place, my ultimate gripe isnt really how he covered the story as much
as
it was a shame he didnt come to someone like PLUG or LOCAL users of
GNU\Linux.  Since this is a 'local' paper.

Derek