Suggestion - Linux training discussion of PLUG-discuss digest, #1110 June 25 - Don Dassinger

Donlin Dassinger plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 17:07:15 -0700

(1) Yes there seems to be an insufficient supply of entry and intermediate USEFUL systems administration and coding/scripting instructors.  And the advanced instruction is in my estimation packed into too few hours at too high a price, except in book form.  I went to Phoenix College to learn more about mounting devices and other hardware and scripting and just received more practice on vi.  And helped others to understand the file system and other simple aspects of UNIX, well, DOS, essentially, plus the mail and the exciting and mystifying calendar feature.  At the time only the Mesa campus of the Maricopa Community Colleges offered the multiuser UNIX class, so I am curious if there was more advanced content in that class.  (2) I am experienced in training and in the use, configuration, networking, and configuration of computers and am eager to participate in partnering with some of the gurus to make course materials and then to provide instruction.  I am Don Dassinger.  Better keep this brief:  B.S. C.I.S. -business programming, from DeVry, in 1986, then network support and system administration since then including some consulting/contract work, especially in 1998, 1999.  Several years experience as an instructor.  New phone numbers and new address:  602-364-0395, 602-364-0889 with my new (yes, 1st - and surely only) bride Josie.  Work: 602-364-0397.  Address for email: donlin_d@yahoo.com and mail: 5501 N 7 Ave #124, Phoenix AZ 85013, and home is large, new, and near 15th Ave and Southern.  An elementary school is located near there too, on 15th Avenue, and another is on 7th Avenue.  So for a central location, I'm eager to help and with offering meetings and for working on course materials & presentation prep work.  I've been coming to the PLUG user group meetings a while now, and have often come with Eric O., "Hawk" if that helps you to place a face with my name and contact information.  May make it up to the G.C.C. meeting.  Still want to suggest the central -15th Ave & Southern address of my new home with its really good great room for an alternate meeting venue and occasional or regular PC/IT activities.

RE: Phoenix Area Linux Training
Message: 5
From: "E" <yonica@qwest.net>
Subject: RE: Phoenix Area Linux Training
Date: Sun, 24 Jun 2001 16:44:43 -0800
I took a Linux course at Gateway Community College.  It was terrible.  They
have an IT department; they threw one of their guys into the job of teaching
the course.  He was a real nice guy, but not a teacher by nature.  So I am
sorry, but I would not recommend that.  I know a guy at work who did RHCE
boot camp.  He took 3 or 4 courses--did I mention the courses were 3 grand a
piece?  You get the idea...

Message: 9