KDE Upgrade Help

AZ_Pete plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 14:01:32 -0700

Thanks for your help, Kurt.  I do have RH 7.1 CDs that I am going to install
on another machine.  Unfortunately, my RH 6.2 box has a lot of development
files, it acts as my Samba server for my windows machines, and my printer
server.  It will remain RH 6.2 for the forseeable future.  KDE 2.1.0 is
installed and working well, I just thought I could get the latest updates
and resolve some of the minor annoyances in the various K apps.

Ok, now given the answers in the orginal thread below, this has sparked a
couple of other questions:

1) Is it possible to upgrade individual KDE apps, such as Konquerer or
KMail, instead of having to install a whole new kde-base RPM package?  If
this is possible, I'm assuming that it could only be done by compiling the
source of any given K app, which would lead to the next question.

2) I've run into the following problem a few times and was curious if there
is an easy was to resolve it.  On my RH 6.2 box all the applications are
installed via RPM.  If I wanted a new version of an application, but was
unable to get it in RPM format and had to compile it from source how does
this affect the RPM installation of the old version of the application?  For
example, if I were to compile the newest KDE from source, how would I
install it with the previous version of KDE installed via RPM?  If I were to
attempt to uninstall my current install of KDE (using RPM -e package-list) I
would get a host of dependency errors.  I tried doing this when I wanted to
upgrade to X-Free86 4.0.3 using the source code.  I tried uninstalling the
XFree86 3.3.6 RPM packages and there were so many dependency errors, I gave
up.  Is it the case that when you have sofware installed via RPM, you must
continue using RPM to upgrade that software, thus precluding you from ever
being able to use source code to upgrade to a newer version?

One last note: I would like to thank Kurt and the whole KDE team for
delivering a truly awesome window manager.
With KDE 2.1 I will be able to move my wife's computer from Win98 to
Linux/KDE and she will be able to do all her work.
She has seen me work on my KDE desktop and likes the look and feel a lot.
We both find the "fuzzy" setting on the clock especially amusing!!

Any thoughts regarding this RPM madness would be appreciated. :)
Thanks,
Peter