KDE Upgrade Help

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 25 Jun 2001 11:32:01 -0700

On Monday 25 June 2001 10:52 am, Tom Bradford wrote:
> Kurt Granroth wrote:
> > Right, you cannot.  Packages for RedHat 7 and above will *not* work for
> > any earlier version of RedHat.
>
> They used to call this DLL hell in the early Windows 95 days, but these
> days, it seems more and more like Linux is the biggest sufferer of it.
> I definitely have more library versioning issues on Linux than I ever
> did on Windows.  Who's gonna fix this problem?

Well, the Windows DLL hell was a little more insideous.  The problem there
were DLLs that had the same name, yet were incompatible with each other.

In the case of Linux .so files, there are at least version numbers that allow
incompatible versions to co-exist.

To wit, I once had my system setup to run a.out, elf, libc5, and glibc
binaries.  Basically, I could run any Linux binary ever created up to that
point.  It was a gigantic PITA doing it.. but it did work.

So it *is* possible.  What is needed for it to be come a reality on a mass
scale is for users to care enough.  If enough people made a stink, then the
distributions can start shipping the "compatability" layers.  I think SuSE
already does to some degree...
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop