KDE Upgrade Help

az_pete plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 24 Jun 2001 01:07:45 -0700

Hi All,

I am currently trying to upgrade my KDE 2.1.0 installation to the new KDE
libs 2.1.2 along with several newer KDE packages versions 2.1.1.
I am using Redhat 6.2.  When I try to upgrade to the kdelibs 2.1.2 package
there are several pacakge dependency errors.  The most significant of which
are:
'kdesupport >= 2.1.-3 is needed by kdelibs-2.1.2-1" and
"libc.so.6(GLIBC_2.2) is need by kdelibs-2.1.2-1"

My current glibc pacakges installed are gblic-2.1.3.-15.

My questions are:
1) Is it safe/advisable to upgrade glibc from 2.1 -> 2.2.  I'm not a C
programmer, so I'm uncertain if upgrading these system libraries will open a
whole other can of worms.  Or is it the case to simply install glibc 2.2 and
have 2 versions resident on the system at the same time?

2) Since I was only able to find the kdelibs 2.1.2 packages and the
kdesupport 2.1-3 package available in the RedHat 7.1 distribution directory
on the KDE ftp site, then is that to say I cannot use those packages on my RH
6.2 system?

My objective is to get the latest and greatest KDE version installed on my RH
6.2 system.  Any help would be apprectiated :)

Peter