Snowhite and the Seven Dwarfs - The REAL story!

Kimi Adams plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 21 Jun 2001 10:30:46 -0700

Mike,

I also have had this sent to me many times.  I have Norton Antivirus which
keeps saying that I cannot repair this attachment.  So, out of frustration
to see who was sending this, I visited that same URL.  They have extensive
instructions to "cleaning and repairing" the damage.

I laughed at Hans' comments about the very large magnet and
reloading.  Because that is exactly what I wished I could do when this
thing keeps coming up.  Mostly people with some type of marketing emails
that go out are grabbed by this initial email.  Then it uses your email
address book to resend to others.  It sends it now and I believe so many
days in the future.  I have had to repair two computers at my office from
this several months ago.  One is still not okay.  I believe the other is
mine and it now has a CMOS problem.  I am replacing this by Friday.

It's a the most dangerous worm in my mind because it cannot be seen and the
damage it will cause is unknown.  I use Eudora Pro so I don't necessarily
have the sending out problems as much as the worm in my machine and
screwing with files.  This has been out there for about 8 months.  I
believe that I have received at least 20 of these emails.  Most of my
customers use Outlook Express, which is the main platform that sends this
email out.  So, like Hans said, get that program replaced.  Don't use what
comes on the machine.  Also, if you are Linux based, it is much safer than
Windows based.  Mostly it's the Windows programs that are running around
and spewing this to everything it can.

Kimi