kde install

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Sun, 17 Jun 2001 19:01:15 -0700

Craig White wrote:
> Quoting Kurt Granroth <kurt@granroth.org>:
> > You'll also want to make sure that kldap-0.4 is written for KDE2.
> > Apps written for KDE1 will *not* compile under KDE2 (and vice versa)
> > and the changes are neither source nor binary compatible.
>
> thanks Kurt
>
> I've got kdelibs-devel installed. It would appear that the problem is the
> latter.

Okay.  If you still want to compile it, you just have to make sure
that you have the kdelibs1 libs and headers installed.  Both can exist
at the same time as long as the headers are in different places.

RH *may* ship with them.  They would be called something like
kde1-compat (or similar).

You could also try to convince the author of kldap to port it to
KDE2.. but since he hasn't touched it since 1999, that doesn't look
likely.

If you just need to access an LDAP server, you might want to use the
integrated LDAP support in KDE2.  As long as you have the LDAP ioslave
compiled and installed, you should be able to access the servers using
(for instance) Konqueror like so:

ldap://the_server/

I just tested it with ldap://ldap.arizona.edu/ (a random public ldap
server) and it seems to work just fine.
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop