New Debian Install: Console Problem

Bob George plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 17:55:55 -0700

<julian@catchen.org> wrote:

> I recently picked up a used HP Omnibook 4150 laptop and have installed
Debian
> stable on it. The problem I am having is that while I am running X at
1024x768
> resolution, the console seems to be at 640x480 -- or something similar. It
> seems this way becaues it is only using about half of the laptop screen.
So,
> the laptop screen is 14.1 inches across, but the console display is only 7
> inches across.

I've seem similar beahvior on a couple of laptops. Console or DOS (non-GUI)
screens are at the same resolution, but occupy a fraction of the screen,
centered on the display.

On some, there's a BIOS option something to the effect of "stretch display"
that might help. I believe selecting another graphics mode for the console
will work to (VGA=ask in lilo.conf) but do verify before making irreversible
changes.

Good luck!

- Bob