BSD Questions

Gontran plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 08:03:38 -0700

* George Toft (george@georgetoft.com) wrote:
> "Autolocating" is a feature of any tarball that was created with
> absolute paths, and is usually considered "a bad thing" as you can't
> untar it to inspect the contents very easy.  Even without absolute
> paths,
> untarring any tarball in the / directory will "relocate" stuff for you.
>
> George

Depending on what you mean by 'inspect', on most RH based distros (and maybe
others) one can 'less' a tar archive and see a list of files contained there.
Maybe with RPMs too. I haven't looked to see if that's a feature of less or
some distro/gnu\/linux specific thing.

Speaking of BSD... Did I hear mention that there is a local BSD users group?

Gontran