BSD Questions

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 15 Jun 2001 00:17:54 -0700

OK - installing bash on Mac OS was a breeze because I downloaded a
tar-binary that was a breeze and did something that I never saw
before...

from the / level prompt...

   tar zxvf /path_to_file/bash-2.0.5-osx.tgz

expanded to 3 trees and automatically put the contents of the  /etc -
/bin  - /usr trees in their couterparts. This was really as simple as
rpm (but of course relying on the person that created the binary to
check any needed dependencies, share-objects or libraries. Wow, rpm
isn't any easier than that was.

Does linux do this with tar distributed code and I've missed it all
this time because I typically take downloaded binaries to /opt before
I 'un-tar' them?

Obviously, I shouldn't plan/trust binaries from untrusted sources -
and I'm publicly spanking myself for downloading the binary but it
was interesting to see that 'auto-locating' install.

Craig

--

- Craig White - PO Box 8634 - Scottsdale, Arizona - 85252

- e-mail address ................ - CraigWhite@AzApple.com

- world wide web address ........ - http://www.AzApple.com

- e-mail my pager address ....... - 6023779752@airtouch.net

- cellular phone ................ - (602) 377-9752

- voice/facsimile ............... - (480) 945-8445