XUL and stuff [was Re: Netscape 6.. ohmygod...]

Michael Vanecek plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 13:14:12 -0500

Yeah, been there. I do all my layout in CSS1/2 (no tables),
PHP/XML/MySQL for site application development, and tinker a little with
javascript. Since the browsers are becoming more DOM compliant, it would
behoove me to learn more Javascript...

Been to the mentioned sites. Good references. I've also been through the
xulnote tutorial. I'd like to write a financial application in XUL to
replace our Quickbooks (the only reason one of our computers is still
infested with MSWindows), so I need to learn how to interface XUL with
MySQL and to learn more about server/client relationships from the XUL
viewpoint. It'd be nice to have the XUL app on a central server rather
than as components of the client, but it's not critical - we have a
small network with only a few computers. I'll also have a PHP equivalent
too, and maybe a Gnome equivalent as soon as development on Gnome_DB
matures... The database will be the same, so it doesn't matter what
client I write. I need to brainstorm on ways to abstract the database
functions so that I an use one library for all platforms - Gnome, PHP or
XUL. It'd be nice to have the core application completely independent of
the interface so that any interface can be written to it.

Mike