Netscape 6.. ohmygod...

Michael Vanecek plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Thu, 14 Jun 2001 10:13:52 -0500

I tried and vommited NN6 months ago. NN6 on both Linux and MSWindows
platforms are abysmal. What do you expect from a "Release" level product
based on v0.6 code? AOL should be keel-hauled for that pathetic blunder.
NN6 doesn't qualify as a "Release", much less the greatly exagerated
version number of 6. Sure, go from a relatively stable 4.76 that
actually worked, bypass 5 altogether and jump straight to 6 with a buggy
as hell pre-alpha application. Nothing AOL has done has been good for
Netscape. They fired most of the staff when they bought it, then they
release 6 purely out of fear that MS would do the same with their
product - something that is alien to the OSS world, and even now they're
working a deal with MS to use the IE browser rather than their own
Netscape which they spent how much for? I call that lack of direction
and blatent confusion and we're suffering for it. People who read that
NN6 was based on Open Source Mozilla now think all OSS software is crap.
Bad move. From a paranoid point of view - a move to purposefully give
meat to the FUD we have to face. </rant>

On Linux, I went straight from Netscape 4.76 to Mozilla 0.9 (after a
brief nightmare with NN6). Mozilla has gotten stable enough to use as my
primary browser. I can live with the few little quirks - they're not
critical. 0.91 has given me a little trouble on installing by xpi
(anyone else?) so I'll stick with 0.9 until 0.92 comes out. No AOL
cosmetics, no proprietory software and links stuck in - it's nice. And
CSS support is awesome. Websites I used to visit all the time in NN4.76
have all but transformed into much improved works. My CapitalOne site
needs to pull their heads out, but for the most part, all sites work
with it. I'm on a k6-2 500 with 384Mb ram and RH6.2/Ximian Gnome. I've
had it on client's 900+ Athlons and there's no perceptable lag - very
quick. It's quick enough on my humble system - bookmarks are a little
slow, but I do have several thousand bookmarks. Email also is a little
slow getting initialized, but I have over 60 thousand emails too.
Naturally, Mozilla will only get faster as development progresses to
v1.0 - why bother then with Netscape? If Netscape is based on Mozilla,
why not ditch Netscape altogether (heck, it's a product from a company
we love to hate anyway), for the original, and superior Mozilla? It
would appear that AOL will probably ditch Netscape themselves. Luckily,
Mozilla will survive and the few remaining Netscape engineers will get
better jobs...

Anyone here doing XUL programming? Documentation is still in its infancy
and I'm intensly interested in learning how to program with it...

Mike

--
http://dotfile.net/ - Dedicated to Open Source Software