KDE 2.1 & Netscape

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 14:07:52 -0700 (MST)

Quoting Kurt Granroth <kurt@granroth.org>:

> Craig White wrote:
> > I have the absolute hardest time 'pasting' into Netscape I think it's
> 4.76
> > on RH 7.1 with KDE 2.1
> >
> > For example, if I copy from KDE TextEdit - it will not paste into
> Netscape
> > (alt V - definitely not ctrl-V)
> >
> > I can paste into Konqueror.
>
> You would *think* that cut'n'paste would be an automatic thing.. but
> it's not.  That area is one of the most non-standardized parts of the
> X desktop.
>
> To paste into Netscape, you'll have to use the middle mouse button.
> That is, copy your text by selecting it with the LMB.  Then click in
> the Netscape URL line with your MMB.
>
> > Similarly - within KDE apps - if you select a URL - it opens a dialog
> asking
> > if you want to open that URL and offers Netscape/Mozilla/Konqueror
> as
> > vehicles - very - very nice touch - but still - Netscape doesn't
> doesn't
> > respond - Konqueror does, I'm not brave enough to try Mozilla.
> >
> > Anyone lick this problem?
>
> There *were* some problems with starting netscape on a URL in various
> KDE2 versions... but I didn't think that those were ever released.  In
> any event, I know that there was some work done on this to fix it once
> and for all just a few weeks ago.
>
> BTW, that dialog you are referring to is the work of "klipper".. that
> little program in your kicker systray that looks like a clipboard with
> a K.  This work on *any* selected text in any X application, not just
> KDE ones.  As long as the text appears on the X Clipboard, it can
> handle it.
>
> I had a patch for klipper once that would automatically translate
> selected text to whatever language you wanted (using babelfish) but I
> never committed it and I don't know what I did with it.  hmm..
> --
> Kurt Granroth            | http://www.granroth.org
Kurt,

You are an awesome wealth of info for PLUG - indeed - the select with LMB &
paste with MMB was the answer.

I do take copy & paste for granted - especially on a GUI and it was rather
frustrating. I created a php/web piece for myself in emacs just so I could
keep pushing myself to learn more aspects of the program.

Thanks,

Craig

This mail sent through IMP: barney.azapple.com