KDE 2.1 & Netscape

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Wed, 13 Jun 2001 08:01:23 -0700

Craig White wrote:
> I have the absolute hardest time 'pasting' into Netscape I think it's 4.76
> on RH 7.1 with KDE 2.1
>
> For example, if I copy from KDE TextEdit - it will not paste into Netscape
> (alt V - definitely not ctrl-V)
>
> I can paste into Konqueror.

You would *think* that cut'n'paste would be an automatic thing.. but
it's not.  That area is one of the most non-standardized parts of the
X desktop.

To paste into Netscape, you'll have to use the middle mouse button.
That is, copy your text by selecting it with the LMB.  Then click in
the Netscape URL line with your MMB.

> Similarly - within KDE apps - if you select a URL - it opens a dialog asking
> if you want to open that URL and offers Netscape/Mozilla/Konqueror as
> vehicles - very - very nice touch - but still - Netscape doesn't doesn't
> respond - Konqueror does, I'm not brave enough to try Mozilla.
>
> Anyone lick this problem?

There *were* some problems with starting netscape on a URL in various
KDE2 versions... but I didn't think that those were ever released.  In
any event, I know that there was some work done on this to fix it once
and for all just a few weeks ago.

BTW, that dialog you are referring to is the work of "klipper".. that
little program in your kicker systray that looks like a clipboard with
a K.  This work on *any* selected text in any X application, not just
KDE ones.  As long as the text appears on the X Clipboard, it can
handle it.

I had a patch for klipper once that would automatically translate
selected text to whatever language you wanted (using babelfish) but I
never committed it and I don't know what I did with it.  hmm..
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop