how do I know my firewall is working

Kurt Granroth plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 23:52:13 -0700

mazdaracer wrote:
> Subject says it all!  I used the CD from Linux mag. and installed pmfirewall.
> I see it starts on boot, but how do I know it's working correctly?

My favorite remote port scanner site was ShieldsUP![1].
Unfortunately, it seems to be offline right now due to massive attacks
on the host.  Bummer.  I've also heard of Secure-Me which is now part
of DSLreports.com[2] but I haven't tried it.

If you have a laptop, you can do very complete testing by pretending
that the laptop is an external host and connect the firewall's
to-the-'net wires directly to it (you'll need a cross-over cable).
You can then throw SAINT and nmap and the rest at it to give a pretty
good idea on what is open and what isn't.

[1] https://grc.com/x/ne.dll?bh0bkyd2
[2] http://www.dslreports.com/secureme
            KDE -- Conquer Your Desktop