Windows ssh GUI client.

Blake Barnett plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 14:18:42 -0700

I agree, this is a plus for putty.  Especially for those roaming admins.  I
dispise having to leave the sanctuary that is my desk, and so don't take
advantage of it as often as I (maybe) should.

A solution for this situation is the SSH daemon for windows NT:
http://www.onlinemagic.com/~bgould/sshd.html

Maybe they'll have a port for windows 9x soon too.

* Blake

-----Original Message-----
From: Eric Thelin [mailto:eric@thelin.org]
Sent: Monday, June 11, 2001 1:07 PM
To: plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Subject: Re: Windows ssh GUI client.

No one has mentioned one of my favorite features of PuTTY yet.  It has
no installer because it doesn't need one it is one file which is about
200K so it is great to put on a utility disk or just download whenever
you need it from someone elses computer.  I can't count the number of
times when I have been away from any linux box that has ssh installed
and needed to login to a server that doesn't have telnet installed.  In
these cases PuTTY's small size and being only a single file come in very
handy.  Most of the time I have just downloaded it used it and deleted
it leaving almost no trace.  And beside all this it is the most xterm
like terminal handling I have found on any windows program.  PuTTY is
just plain cool.

Eric

On Sat, 9 Jun 2001, Digital Wokan wrote:

> Digital Wokan wrote:
> >
> > Carl Parrish wrote:
> > > I would like to take all telnet and ftp access off of my server to do
> > > this I need to be able to give my window users a GUI client though.
Does
> > > anyone know if CuteFTP can connect via ssh? Or if not any other GUI
> > > tools they could use? (I also have one Apple users so same question
for
> > > her).
> > > Thanks,
> > > Carl P.
> >
> > Can't help with the Mac user, but I've found PuTTY for Windows rocks.
> > GUI setup.  Not sure about doing FTPS over it yet though.  Best of all,
> > absolutely free.  No nags or anything.
>
> Found an answer to the FTPS part.  PuTTY works with PSCP, a Windows port
> of Unix's SCP.  It's based on the command line, though maybe I could get
> a GUI front-end written for it soon.  Doesn't seem to work like FTP in
> that I don't see anything for directory navigation or file listing.

Eric Thelin                                          erict@aztechbiz.com
           AZtechBiz.com: Where Arizona Does Tech Business