Greetings and Questions

Craig White plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Tue, 05 Jun 2001 23:31:02 -0700 (MST)

Quoting Thomas Sapp <tpsapp@hotmail.com>:

> First off I would like to say hello.  I just joined the mailing list and
> am
> looking forward to enlightenment! (I'm a dork)  Anyways, I also have a
>
> question in regards to linux.  I have two machines setup on my works
> network, one is a redhat 7.1 box and the other is a SUSE 7.1 box.
> Neither
> of these machines can ping hostnames on our network but they can ping
> hostnames such as yahoo.com or linux.com.  I can map to network drives
> if I
> use the IP address of the machine I am mapping too.  Our network is
> mainly
> windows nt 4.0 or windows 2000 servers/workstations and as I had stated
> can access the shares on those machines if I use the IP address.  For
> the
> life of me, I can not figure out what my be wrong or what I need to fix
> in
> order to correct this problem.  I have specified the correct DNS
> servers, I
> have also specified a non-used IP address on our network.  My only guess
>
> right now is that since we are using token-ring instead of ethernet it
> might
> be messing things up but I am not sure.  Any help would be greatly
> appreciated.  Once again, I am excited to be a part of this mailing list
> and
> look forward to communicating with you all.
----
I suspect that...

Either

A. DNS is set up properly and the network is set up entirely wrong and the only
way that the computers find each other is via NETBUI and not TCP/IP. I see this
a lot as many companies are MIS controlled by the guy who also doubles as
customer service rep. SOLUTION - design a network for them.

or

B. You are using a different DNS server (outside the network) and the windows
computers are using a server inside the network. SOLUTION - change
/etc/resolv.conf.

The different wiring schemes 10/100BASE & Tokenring aren't necessarily the
problem except that they are likely subnetting the two separately - thus WINS
can accomplish this as well - so in Samba - make certain that you configure with
the WINS server(s) addresses just in case they actually are finding each other
via TCP/IP and WINS.

Craig

This mail sent through IMP: barney.azapple.com