KVM recommendation

Kevin Buettner plug-discuss@lists.PLUG.phoenix.az.us
Fri, 1 Jun 2001 16:13:21 -0700

On Jun 1,  5:46pm, Furmanek, Greg wrote:

> I am looking into buying a digital KVM switch.
> What would be the best choice for 4 system switch?
>
> I have openBSD, Linux and Windows machines.

I like the IOGear Miniview that I purchased a couple of months ago.
I'm running my machines at 1600x1200 resolution and the image quality
looks the same to as it does without the switch.  The IOGear Miniview
comes with 4 high quality six foot cables.  Additional (longer) cables
may be purchased separately.

I also have a Cybex Switchview, but I do not recommend this switch.
Image quality is not as good as it is without the switch, plus it does
something funky with the mouse on my AIX 5L (IA-64) box.  (OTOH, the
IOGear Miniview performed like a champ.)

One of the issues that sometimes comes up when using a KVM switch is
that the keyboard repeat rate changes when you reboot one of the other
machines.  I've found the following command (on Linux) to be helpful
to restoring the rate to a sane value:

    kbdrate -r 30

(Replace 30 with whatever value you prefer.)

Kevin